Saturday 11 February 2012

Sociopath?

I've just finished a novel called, as the title suggests, Sociopath? by Vicki Williams. www.smashwords.com/books/view/126930.

    The question mark is in the title is important because the question as to whether Rafe is or is not a sociopath is posed a few times throughout but no real determination is made.

   Rafe, the central character, is not a particularly nice person but difficult to hate. He has a slightly annoying knack of excelling at everything he does and is loved by almost everybody he comes across in his eventful life. I had trouble believing that anyone could be instinctively good at everything but perhaps that's just my own jealously at work. This includes the sex scenes which are frequent and graphic but not gratuitously so. 

   Ultimately this is a fine novel; the first of five, I believe. Although we cover so much ground in the first, I find it difficult to see how any further books in the series could retain their freshness. I think that women might enjoy it more than men as it is almost a study of that strange species: men. Having said that I would recomend it to anyone. I read it in about three days, whilst I should have been working, so for readability alone, it gets my vote.

   I asked Vicki why it was free when it's as good as any other novel for which the authors are charging, but she replied that she was just testing the water.

  The novel can be found here: www.smashwords.com/books/view/126930.

2 comments:

  1. Roger - Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate them and I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. Incidentally, the next ones only cover about a year at a time and roughly follow the NASCAR season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review of this book. It looks like something I'd love to read. It sure sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Labels