Sunday 25 January 2015

Doing the advertising biz.

Amazingly, I've gone the entire weekend without writing a word - well a few words but only in advertising my books. My intimate and not entirely comfortable sole partnership with Amazon has come to an end at last. I'll stay with them of course because they actually sell a few books now and then. 

   After a few false starts I've rejoined Smashwords and all their affiliates, and Draft2digtal has welcomed me back with open arms. Of all their affiliates, B/N, Nook and itunes, Apple was the most contentious as even a single syllable of any competitor rules one out. Fixed those and done that. I appreciate that the sales will not roll in just on that basis but it's a good start.

   In that vein I was lucky enough to be featured in Tricia Drammeh's terrific blog Here on her 'Authors to Watch' series. For anyone who hasn't caught it yet, her book and writer reviews are excellent.

   I was going to rant on about DRM and all that it's ramifications today. Most of us know that it's pretty much useless and in reality I have to agree with J Konrath,  Here  (I paraphrase slightly) that if we make out work easily available and cheap enough then there's little need to worry about pirating. Not that I've fallen foul of this yet since I haven't sold enough. I aim to change that. I wonder, is it a mark of success if one's work is pirated?

   As to my latest ventures, I seem to recall promising myself that I would never again write more than one book at a time. I even stuck to that new convention until the very second I began my new horror novel: The Secret, and without pause continued writing Old Geezers 3 and Kongomato 3, but as the three plots don't conflict, there will be no overlap. I'm sticking to this story, because it keeps at bay the ominous voice in my head reminding me that I'm an idiot, and one that I keep ignoring. In a compromise-ette, I've decided to postpone my end-of-the-world epic until I finish this three, possibly.

5 comments:

  1. Heading over there now ;)

    I don't know how you write as much as you do. It takes me a year for one book *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing the first draft is easy - usually about three months. It's everything that comes after like editing and getting it into a readable condition that takes time. The Book of Pain took me nearly two years. The problem is that I write too many at the same time and just make it harder for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tendency to work on more than one thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it's not just me, then. I keep meaning to stop but I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marketing and writing - just as it should be. But you could also market for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Labels