Tuesday 24 March 2015

Have I misunderstood the word "fun?"

After having spent the last 72hrs either waiting in, or hovering near to our local hospital waiting to discover if my daughter was to lose her spleen following the severe pounding she received from the two (shod) hooves of a wild horse interacting with her midriff, I'm still trying to understand why it is that people must own horses.

   First there's the expense of buying them, not an inconsiderable amount. Then the really great part, according to my severely mangled offspring: you feed them, clean out all of yesterdays food from the bottom of their stables, then prepare tomorrow's food. Then tomorrow you do that same thing all over again - forever. 
  
   Yes, I know they ride them, so perhaps the joy of it all is avoiding either careless or downright malicious vehicle drivers on the road.If someone could explain to me where the actual fun begins I'd love to know.

   And now that she'd back from hospital, thankfully intact, I can begin writing again. I wasn't this afraid when people in other countries were trying to kill me on a daily basis. At least then I could fight back, and instead of paying a king's ransom for the privilege, I was being paid.

   I'm just glad she's back safe, if a little dented, but if she could find another hobby like knitting, I'd be delighted.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad she's home and recovering. I've never gotten along with horses, so I keep a wide distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Roger, I’m so glad she is safe but what a scary time for you all. Neighbours of ours (in a previous house) had two horses, one each for each of their daughters. All went well until a driver of a Landover ploughed into them. He was avoiding a vehicle coming in the other direction and took out the horses and riders instead. The ensuing carnage is something I don’t even want to think about now. I like horses but I wish they would live in fields well away from roads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought patrolling the Falls Road in Belfast during the seventies was scary, but absolutely nothing prepared me for the fright of a child ill or wounded.

      Delete

Labels